In his statement at the presentation of the check, Kroger Central Division Affairs Manager John Elliott said, in part:
“We are determined to have a strong, positive and measurable impact on core skills such as reading, math and science. We also intend to strengthen our local school and library partnerships in as many communities as possible. Kroger looks forward to the catalytic impact of this investment in Lafayette’s ‘Technology Commons’ and celebrating the academic, workforce, health and wellness success of student of all ages.”
Foundation Board President Jerry Withered (left) accepts gift from Tipmont REMC Operation Round Up Trust Board Member Joe Bloom
Tipmont REMC Operation Round Up Trust provides support for the hardware purchases of the 4-station language-learning lab that will be part of the Technology Commons. This $2,500 check will assist in the development of a flexible, technology-rich center for learning, research, training, collaboration and content production in TCPL’s downtown library.
The most heavily used area of any library system is its main youth room, and that's certainly true for the Tippecanoe County Public Library system. In 2008, a $136,000 renovation replaced 20-year old carpeting, refurbished restrooms, relocated and expanded the preschool area, increased space for library collections, provided additional computer stations and replaced or refurbished aging and damaged furnishings.
Donors to the Youth Room renovation provided a significant portion of the funding.
- The Estate of Anna Akeley provided $30,000.
- The Friends of TCPL made a $25,000 gift.
- The Alfred J. and Dorothy N. McAllister Foundation contributed $18,750 to the project.
- The Community Foundation of Greater Lafayette provided over $7,000 for the purchase of a Learning Concepts Wall and a Wave Bench.
- Grants were also received from Tipmont REMC Operation Round Up, Wal-Mart, the West Central Dental Association, the estate of Walter Miehr, and the Scheumann Foundation.
- The Indiana State Library purchased two Awe Early Literacy computer stations.