POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- Residents of Tippecanoe County are expected to come to the downtown library and do their own research. When questions involve extensive research, please contact the Alameda McCollough Library. Research by mail is provided for a fee.
- Non-residents may submit requests by mail. We appreciate receiving payment and a self-addressed stamped envelope at the time of the initial request. Responses are returned by regular mail, or via e-mail if possible. Our street address is: Reference Department, Tippecanoe County Public Library, 627 South Street, Lafayette, IN 47901.
- Newspaper searches for births, marriages, and deaths require full names and exact dates (day, month, year). Time will be saved if you check with the Alameda McCollough Library for full names and exact dates before you contact us.
- Fees: Our standard fee is $10.00 per name searched. Checks should be made payable to the Tippecanoe County Public Library. If over 5 pages are found, extra copying fees may be charged. There is no guarantee of a date of completion, but we strive to answer each letter within two weeks.
- Interlibrary Loan: We do not lend microfilm reels of newspapers or census records. The Indiana State Library will do such loans. Arrangements for Interlibrary Loans with the State Library should be made through the individual's local library.
- Local History and Census Research: In general, unless the research involves the use of our microfilmed newspapers, we refer local history questions to the Alameda McCollough Library.
ER DATABASES AND ONLINE RESOURCES
- HeritageQuest Online - Resource for census data, family records, and local histories.
- Ancestry Library Edition - Available for use in the Library on the ER terminals.
- Family Tree Maker CD-Roms - Over 50 CD-Roms of marriage indexes, military records, immigration records, etc. See a librarian for access to these CD-Roms for in-house use only.
- Indiana State Library - Access the Inspire database, discover the newspaper holdings by county, or try the cemetery index.
- Indiana Memory - Access to primary sources about Indiana's history and people that are found in digitized books, manuscripts, photographs, newspapers, maps, audio, video, and other resources.
- VINE (Vital Information Exchange) - Indiana-related local history and vital records from Indiana's public libraries, historical societies, genealogy societies, and related agencies.
- Accesss Newspaper Archive provides scanned images of several hundred Indiana newspapers dating to the 1800s to present.
- 1824 - 1999 Headline History of Tippecanoe County by Robert C. Kriebel
REF IND 977.295 K92 1998.
- 1999 - present Lafayette Journal and Courier Index
- 1995 - 1999 Local Newspaper Indexing Project
- 5/5/95 - 4/7/00 Lafayette Leader Index (ask a librarian how to access this database)
- 4/11/94 - 4/02/01 Lafayette Business Digest Index (ask a librarian how to access this database)
- Barcus, Conarroe (Conroe), Concord, Coby & Stingley, Farmers Institute, Fink, Hickory Grove, Kenny, O'Neall, Pinhook, Greenbush (1848 - 1860), Sickler, Spencer, Spring Grove, West Point, Wildcat, Jackson Township index, Union Township index, Wayne Township index, Wea Township index.
- Indiana Census on microfilm
1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, (no 1890), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930
- Soundex to Indiana census
1880, 1900, 1920
- Indexes to census (book form)
Indiana: 1807, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850
Tippecanoe County: 1860, 1870
CITY/COUNTY DIRECTORIES for LAFAYETTE and TIPPECANOE COUNTY
- 1858 - present
(Missing 1868, 1870, 1890, 1892, 1917, 1919, 1922, 1925, 1934, 1936, 1938, 1940, 1942, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1956)
HIGH SCHOOL YEARBOOKS (some issues missing)
- Central Catholic 1958 - 2001
- Jefferson High 1913 - 2003
- McCutcheon High 1980 - 2002
- Southwestern High 1960 - 1968 (+1957)
- West Lafayette High 1920 - 1996
- Harrison High 1985 - 2003
PURDUE UNIVERSITY YEARBOOKS
- TCPL has a number of Indiana County Histories in book form, and most County Histories on Microfilm. They are located with the rest of the microfilm at the rear of the library.
- Tippecanoe County, IN Index of Persons and Firms
GENEALOGY 929.3772 T595
- Military Service Records - Union Soldiers, Indiana
A microfilmed list of Indiana Union Soldiers from the Civil War, listing names and which Company the soldier belonged to.
- Muster rolls and payrolls of Militia and Regular Army Organizations in the Battle of Tippecanoe. (November 1811)
- Other than the microfilm most of the sources above are located in the Swezey Room of Indiana History.
- For more information about our genealogy resources, please contact the Reference Department at (765) 429-0113.