|Access to Public Records Policy, Rev. 1996|
Access to public records is governed by Indiana Code 5-14-3. The official policy of the State of Indiana is that all persons are entitled to full and complete information regarding the affairs of government and the official acts of those who represent them as public officials and employees, subject to certain limitations.
In accordance with this policy, the records of the Tippecanoe County Public Library are open to the public for inspection with exception of the classes of materials specified by law as confidential as set out herein. For a listing of the types of materials available to be examined see I.C. 5-14-3-3. Any person may inspect and copy the public records of the library during the regular business hours of the library office. Requests for materials on weekends or at night will be deferred until the following business day. Requests for information must be made in writing and provide the name and telephone number of the requesting individual as well as the general nature of the information being sought. Any cost incurred in copying materials must be paid by the requester at the time the request is made.
Materials declared confidential by state or federal statute as outlined in I.C. 5-14-3-4 are exempt from disclosure. In addition, the following public records are exempt from disclosure and will not be made available for public inspection:
1. Personnel Files of the library employees and files of applicants for employment, except for:
2. Any administrative or technical information which could jeopardize a record-keeping or security system.
3. Computer programs, codes, filing systems, and other software owned by the library or entrusted to it.
4. Records prepared specifically for discussion, or created during discussion at any legally called executive session.
5. The identity of a donor of a gift made to the library if the donor requires anonymity as a condition of making the gift.
6. Any library records which can be used to identify any library patron.Adopted by the Tippecanoe County Public Library Board 04/02/96